Last Monday, I passed the Microsoft exam MS-500 and earned the Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate certification. I am very happy about this; It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it!
If you plan to take this exam, you should have experience and a solid understanding of the security solutions available in Azure and Microsoft 365. You will need to demonstrate knowledge to plan and implement solutions in 100% cloud and hybrid environments.
How to prepare for the exam #
I have used different training portals, online courses, and reading material to prepare for the exam. Next, I will show you the resources and the time I dedicated to each of them. Please note that preparation for the MS-100, MS-101 and AZ-500 exams has served as the basis for this exam.
Microsoft Learn #
One of the sources I have consulted has been Microsoft Learn; this new educational platform is just great and replaces the Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA). On this platform, complete the following learning paths:
- Protect identity and access with Azure Active Directory (2h 52m)
- Defend against threats with Microsoft Threat Protection (3h 31m)
- Protect enterprise information with Microsoft 365 (1h)
- Manage security with Microsoft 365 (44m)
- Manage insider risk in Microsoft 365 (2h 50m)
Pluralsight courses #
Another source that you can use to reinforce the concepts is to take the Pluralsight courses, in particular, the following courses:
- Implementing and Managing Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection (1h 32m)
- Managing and Synchronizing Microsoft 365 Azure Identities (47m)
- Implementing and Managing Microsoft 365 Information Protection (2h 18m)
Reading material #
Regarding the reading material, I have used the official exam book: Exam Ref MS-500 Microsoft 365 Security Administration and Microsoft 365 Security for IT Pros (2021 Edition).
My Tips #
- Take your time to cover all the topics included in the exam.
- Open a Microsoft 365 trial account and try out, and research the capabilities of the different technologies. If you have the official book, do the exercises, and check your knowledge.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you want to know more about the exam, check out this link.